London: Henry Greenwood & Co., 1854-1987. First editions. 4 volumes are tall 8vos., all others are 4tos.; variable pagination's. 116 bound volumes and 14 volumes in approximately 730 issues in original illustrated wrappers. Various cloth bindings, with a few in quarter calf with marbled paper over boards, some volumes with extensive repairs or new bindings. Internally, very good to fine. Assembled from a variety of sources, with several being ex-library. A near and complete set, beginning with The Liverpool Photographic Journal, Volumes 1 & 2 (1854 -1855 and 1857-1858) and continuing as a long and unbroken run from 1862 through 1969, with the years 1974 through 1987 in the original illustrated wrappers, missing but a few issues from the last volumes of the 1980s. Item #29812
"First published in Liverpool, The British Journal of Photography began as the Liverpool Photographic Journal on 14 January 1854 and continued through December 1856 (vols. 1-3). It continued as the Liverpool & Manchester Photographic Journal from January 1857 to December 1858 (vols. 4-5). Following, this it continued as the Photographic Journal from January to December 1859 (vol. 6) and then as The British Journal of Photography from January 1860 (vol. 7) to the present. Initially a monthly journal belonging to the Liverpool Photographic Society, it was sold during 1856 to Henry Greenwood, the printer and publisher since inception. The firm moved from Liverpool to London in 1864 remaining as the journal's publishers. From 1 January 1857, the Journal became a fortnightly and from 1 January 1865, a weekly publication. At the same time, the earlier size of large 8vo. also changed to 4to.
The Liverpool Photographic Society, and later the Liverpool Amateur Photographic Society, included amongst its membership: Francis Frith, then a printer; George Berry, a professional photographer; Henry Greenwood, a printer; as well as B.J. Sayce, W.B. Bolton, Peter Mawdsley and later, Vero C. Driffield. It was a suggestion made by George Berry that led to the publication of the Journal. The first editors were members of the Liverpool Photographic Society; Charles Corey, Frank Howard and George Berry. For a short period it was edited by William Crookes.... in 1858 it came under the editorship of George Shadbolt, and from January 1865, William Crookes and George Dawson edited it for a few months until J. Thrail Taylor took over the same year. Taylor remained editor until 1879, when he left for New York to take over the Photographic Times. W.B. Bolton held the reins until 1886, when Taylor returned to his previous post, remaining as editor until shortly before his death in 1895.
The scope of contributions and contributors were both national and international and was admired wherever English was spoken. During the able editorship of Taylor and Bolton the Journal grew in importance and pages. A volume in the 1880s and 1890s typically contained over 800 quarto pages and these pages were frequently used to announce the progress of photography. The important developments in the gelatine (sic) dry plate as well as other processes were first published in its pages. Since 1860, The British Journal of Photography has retained the enviable position of being one of the most influential photographic journals in the world." Michael Hallett in Encyclopedia of Nineteenth-Century Photography.
A rare, near complete run of this outstanding journal.
Additional shipping charges may apply given the weight of this magazine.