Paris: Au Siege de la Société Française de Photographie, 1855-1939. First editions. 8vos., various paginations. 48 bound volumes, with the years 1855 - 1890 bound two years per volume; 1891 on are a single year per volume. The volumes from 1855 - 1913 are bound in quarter cloth with marbled paper over boards; the volumes from 1914 - 24 are bound in quarter calf and marbled paper over boards; and the volumes from 1925 -1928 are quarter cloth with marbled paper over boards. The remaining volumes from 1929 - 1939 are unbound, housed in 6 custom clamshell box. Very good to fine. WITH: LABORATOIRE D'ESSAIS DE LA SOCIÉTÉ FRANCAISE DE PHOTOGRAPHIE. MÉMOIRES ET DOCUMENTS. Paris: Gauthier-Villars, 1897 - 1902. Volumes 1 -3; bound in 2 quarter morocco and marbled paper over boards volumes. Item #29799
The Société Francaise de Photographie was founded in 1854 and "defined itself under its organizing statutes as 'an artistic and scientific association of men studying photography.' Membership was limited and exclusive. By charter there would be no more than two hundred regular members, and an additional two hundred corresponding members from outside Paris." With its strong anti-commercial bias, few commercial photographers were among its members. Among its founding members were: Victor Regnault, Baron Gros, Eugène Delacroix, Louis Robert, Eugène Durieu, Alphonse de Brébisson, Léon Foucault, Hippolyte Bayard, Gustave LeGray, Charles Nègre, Blanquart-Evrard, Edmund Becquerel, Léon de Laborde, et al. The Bulletin published the work of its members, papers on scientific and technical aspects of photography, and notices from foreign societies. By the end of the nineteenth century the focus of the Bulletin had largely become scientific with fewer articles on artistic and aesthetics. As a consequence of this, biased to the scientific, several members, including Robert Demachy left the SFP to form the Photo-Club de Paris in 1894. (Condensed from the article by Kathleen Stewart Howe, p. 1280-81 in Encyclopedia of Nineteenth-Century Photography.
First published in 1855, as a supplement of "La Revue de Photographie - Revue Française de Photographie et de Cinématographie." This run is complete; publication was suspended from Jan. - June 1871, and again from August 1939 - Dec. 1946. Publisher and place of printing changed as many as four times during the course of this journal's history.
Duplicates volumes of several early years are available, please inquire.
Additional shipping charges may apply given the weight of this magazine.