Wien: Verlag von Carl Gerold's Sohn, 1864 - 1908. First editions. 8vos., variable paginations, with mounted original albumen photographic plates. 43 volumes. This set was acquired from the British Patent Office and bears their stamp throughout. A few volumes show early dampstaining, and thirty-six volumes have been newly-bound in quarter cloth with paper spine label and marbled paper over boards. The remaining seven volumes were bound in quarter cloth with marbled paper over boards at an earlier date. Item #29058
Founded in 1864, and edited by Ludwig Schrank as a periodical from practitioners for practitioners, with an emphasis on composition and the various genres of photography, including the practical aspects of photography as a fine art. By 1888, this publication "was the most renowned magazine in photographic sciences. Any invention or scientific progress in this magazine meant that it was a validated device or process. This was due in part because of its behind the scenes editor, Joseph Maria Eder, then the foremost source and teacher in photographic sciences to the degree that the quality of this paper's articles had a canonic character." Encyclopedia of Nineteenth Century Photography, p. 1095.
Originally published as PHOTOGRAPHISCHE CORRESPONDENZ; in 1902 the title changed to PHOTOGRAPHISCHE KORRESPONDENZ. A long and continuous run, lacking volumes for the years 1906 and 1907.
Additional shipping charges may apply given the weight of this magazine.